Thursday, August 03, 2006

"I'm Keith Hernandez"


Keith Hernandez Status

By Bill Simmons

When an athlete reaches "I'm Keith Hernandez" status and their confidence becomes simply outrageous -- that's when you know someone is in the zone. That was one of my favorite Larry Bird moments, the Dallas game in '86 when they were down two on TBS with like 10 seconds left, so he pulled up in the open court and drained a crazy running 3, with the implicit understanding being, "You know what? This is a ridiculous shot, but I'm Larry Bird and I'm on national TV, and I can do things like this."




Now in my humble opionion The Mamba, after so many great moments throughout the last season, has finally reached it! In Phil Jackson's new book, titled "Mamba: My season coaching a the man who nicknamed himself after a deadly Python." It is revealed that after hitting 61 points in three quarters against the Mavs, he was seen to be grooming his mustache and blowing cigarette smoke in players faces... and as he soon after tore apart the Rapters for that 81 point outing, he had taken his own love for himself and his abilities to that level. Not needing to prove himself anymore after an almost miraclous play off series victory he has decided to pull out of the World Champs for team USA... without even contemplating consultating with the coach. Clearly he knew "I'm Keith Hernandez!"