Thursday, December 04, 2008

Homeless World Cup Comes to Town


I visited the Homeless World Cup yesterday. It is currently being held it Federation Square in the heart of Melbourne. I have to be honest, I don’t know a lot about it, but it sure does seem like an interesting concept.



From the official website.

There are one billion homeless people living in our world today.

The Homeless World Cup exists to end this, so we all have a home, a basic human need.
The Homeless World Cup is an annual, international football tournament, uniting teams of people who are homeless and excluded to take a once in a lifetime opportunity to represent their country and change their lives forever.

It has triggered and supports grass roots football projects in over 60 nations working with over 25,000 homeless and excluded people throughout the year.
The first tournament took place in Graz 2003 uniting 17 national teams. At the 5th Homeless World Cup in Copenhagen this summer, 48 nations, 500 players were united for a once in a lifetime opportunity to represent their country. Melbourne is the host city for the next tournament from 1-7 December 2008.

The impact is consistently significant year on year with 73% of players changing their lives for the better by coming off drugs and alcohol, moving into jobs, education, homes, training, reuniting with families and even going on to become players and coaches for pro or semi-pro football teams.



Anyhoo, it got me thinking about the fact I’ve never associated sport and the homeless together. Perhaps because I really don’t think about the homeless much at all. I acknowledge that is not great, but comparatively speaking, my little corner of the world is not as affected as much as most other places on the globe. I have seen them sporadically at home and abroad, but mostly I come across them in books, film and television. South Park was merciless in a recent episode.


There has only been one instance in my life where I have connected the homeless and sport, and that is through basketball. I love the game, as you know. The connection originates from one of my favourite movies growing up, Above The Rim. Say what you like about it, but it taught me a few things.



The moment in the film which will stay with me forever is when young up and coming street star Kyle, finally gets his chance against Ol’Shep. He tries to dribble the ball between his opponents legs, and it’s stolen straight up.

“I ain’t Flip” is all the wise old Shep says.



Flip Johnson (Played by the late Bernie Mac) is a homeless guy in the film who was a young star also, but turned to alcohol and ended up on the streets. Kyle and his friends would mock him and beat him up on and off the court. He was a sad, joke.

“I ain’t Flip.”

Do not underestimate me.

Who do you think I am?

I deserve respect.

I will not be fooled.

Which ever way you say it.

“I ain’t Flip.”

This statement is a motto (or saying) of mine, an obscure reference that I’d say in my head from time to time playing or in other situations. More so in times past, but honestly, it was also on the short list to be the title of my entire blog.

So yesterday as I sat amongst the homeless in the stands, watching other homeless men play soccer, I started thinking about Flip. The tournament has many detractors, but I see the it’s benefits, and possibilities it is providing. These guys ain’t Flip either.