Monday, June 04, 2007

The night I met a Global Icon.


Cavs into NBA finals.

As I read about Lebron james making the NBA finals, I am reminded of a time a couple of months out from the beginning of this NBA season when, on a night warm as sweet miso soup, I was "lucky" enough to meet the once self professed "Global Icon". This meeting wasn't planned, and the path that led us together that night was more confusing than the Japanese Subway system, but it happened. It was during the FIBA World championships in Tokyo Japan, the night the Boomers had exited the competition at the hands of the mighty USA. The Boomers were out to relax, party and unwind. And I was lucky enough to tag along...

English word on the street was that this club was 'hot like wasabi' so I followed the herd. I was part of the gang, for the night at least. I was the runt of the litter, but I held strong. Vanilla. When we arrived it was nice, but not exactly pumping, certainly nothing like my heart rate. I was red bulled and somewhat starstruck. And soon the "somewhat" became "mos def". It seems the US team, fresh off there defeat of the Boomers that afternoon had stumbled across the same Club. Coincedence?... HUGE!

For the next few hours I sped around the club meeting, drinking, dancing, drinking. I had so many memories until a friend came up to me, and with her voice have raised through excitement and half to drown out the music, "Do you want to meet LeBron?" I had no idea he was even there, why wasn't he hanging with everyone else. "Hell yeah I do!"

It left me with a sour taste in my mouth, once I sobered up. I didn't want to idolise this man, I didn't even wish him well. Frankly, he was a jerk. "Nah, I ain't doin no photos." That's all he said as I looked up and down the enormous head of his for some type of expression. None, not one of "get out of here, you're spoiling my great time!", or "Can't you leave me alone, you are like the 50th person to come talk to me tonight!" Neither was true. No fun for him.

I am certain I wouldn't have been so hard on him if there were no other "Superstars" on hand for me to compare him too. But I every other player seemed accomadating in the least and friendly as hell on other occasions! In fact there were times when Shane Battier and Carmelo Anthony were an extension of our group and later Dwight Howard joined a mixed group of internationals in an electronic darts game. But no fun for him.

But I began to feel sorry for him too. Most of his other teammates were there that night, and they were all mixing with us (the Aussies aka only other English speakers/taller than 5'5" people) and seemingly enjoying the night. Except for one sullen looking character in the back of the club, hidden in the shadows from the hundreds of, I don't know, Japanese clubbers? Who, trust me, were not even interested in him in the slightest. These were guys and girls who were there to dance, show off outrageous fashion sense and hairstyles, and not get trampled by the 20 or so giant people. Their "Ents" they would walk around them like they were trees in a park!

So, back to the fact that Lebron is now in his first ever NBA Finals, I hope he enjoys it. I hope that he does infact enjoy the dream life of millions around the world, that he is living. He is the star of stars in this Finals series, regardless of what Tim Duncan has done before. He showed huge glimpes in the Detroit series of what he could do when he coupled his talent and will to win, and appeared to break free of the burden, which I saw so personally on the night we met.

Still... Go Cavs.