Monday, August 25, 2008

What are your thoughts on the blogging phenomenon?

I was recently asked to help out a friend with a university assignment regarding this blog. Below are the question and answers that took place.

What is the name of your blog? The name of my blog is "One Man Weave". It's name comes from the sporting "weave" training drill, used commonly in Basketball and other sports. My blog is predominantly comment on basketball, but it also incorporates other aspects of my life 'weaved' in.

What is your blog about? My blog as I stated above is predominantly about basketball, but is also a platform for my other interests such as creative writing and story telling. I have included articles penned by other authors if I find them relevant, and also I include pictures and video from others websites. There is no real set 'topic' or reason for the blog other than a great platform for me to get my thoughts and ideas out there.

How long have you been blogging for? I started this site in 2006, but have been recording my thoughts on things since around 2001, things that one day may be reshaped and used on the blog. Depending on time constraints I can put more and more time into the blog. I aim to have it grow significantly in the next few months.

How did you get in to blogging? My obsession with basketball and my creative nature led to the beginning of the blog. I have aspirations of running a larger website, or having work published and this seemed like a great place to 'cut my teeth' as they say in the business.

Do you have any formal journalism training? I don't have any formal journalism training, although I am planning to study media and/or communications shortly, as my interest in these areas in only increasing as time goes by. I completed a short course in Creative Writing in 2007 which helped immensely with my development and further confirmed my interest.

Have you received any feedback about your blog? I have received various feedback from my writings, and the occasional feedback regarding my blog. It doesn't receive wide attention, but a satisfying day came last year when someone unknown to me left encouraging comments on a piece I had written.

What are your thoughts on the blogging phenomenon? I really think it's great. It's a great tool for creative types who aspire to be heard and do not necessarily have the platform or employment backing to be noticed. It can incorporate so many different types of media, similar to a website, where people can be creative. Hopefully things continue to develop in the world of blogging and I can ride this thing till the wheels fall off!