Monday, September 08, 2008

NBA Collector


I've never really written about my hobby for collecting NBA Toys, figurines... dolls. I love them. The ones described today have been made by McFarlane.
I have collected the figurines since 2004, when Detriot Bad Boy Ben Wallace, was stealing the hearts of the basketball - Laker Hater world. My first purchase, I had to have him.

From then, my collection grew slowly, until it peaked with a mass influx in December 2007. Originally I would pay the jacked up prices of Kickz101, it was the only way. But soon ebay came to the rescue.


I have a specific way I select which toys I will buy, which colour uniform they will be wearing, and whether they recieve pride of place in my ever changing/rearranging display of them. The rules are not always hard and fast, but each toy must mean something to me. Whether the figure was a gift, I saw that player in a game in person, I like their character, the way the figure captures their style, or met them. There are many influences over my choices.

I simply do not have space for them all in the picture below, so if you tick me off, you're out! Kevin Garnett will never take pride of place again, Lebron is in my doghouse, and I love Yao, but his massive frame cannot support the pole to the figure. I know now how his legs often buckle so easily on the court!



Below is a video example of how a figure is made, and some of the great pictures of other types of McFarlane work.



SEE HOW AN IDEA BECOMES A TOY

I've been ridiculed by many for collecting them, some people are impressed, some not and others are scared of their life like appearance, thinking presumably that they burst to life come nightfall and wreak havoc.

One man, Rob Daly, is a believer, and his collection now rivals even mine.

Who wants to 'grow up' when playing with toys can be this much fun!

Below: Some of the different ways Todd McFarlane brings Pop Culture to life!