Monday, July 23, 2007

JESS BEARZATTO - Wildcat to Lady BearCat!

>

After being noticed by a number of scouts in the Under 18 National Championship, Jessica started down the path that has led to a College career, travel and accolades she could never have envisaged when she first picked up a ball for the Wildcats. She now plays guard for another type of cat, the Brecia University Lady Bearcats!

Growing up Jessica always wanted to be like her older brothers, but it didn’t take long for her competitive side to take over. She wanted not only to be like them, but better than them! Now, this young lady has taken her all of that determination and desire with her to the USA, and is playing College basketball in the sports mad state of Kentucky! That’s right, Kentucky famous in the US as the home of horseracing, Fried Chicken and College Sports, now Eltham Wildcat player Jess Bearzatto, is staking her claim to join the list!

Below are Jess’s responses to my questions to her via email, regarding life, sport, the Wildcats and dealing with College Basketball in Kentucky!


How old were you when you first became involved with the Wildcats?
Started when I was 7, in Under 8’s.

Who was your biggest basketball influence growing up ? Why?
My brothers. They all played and that was the reason I started to play. All I wanted to do was to be like them and play basketball as well. And of course to be better than them at it!

Biggest influence from the Wildcats?
It would be hard to name just one but my coaches throughout my junior career, notably Marissa Phillipou and Michael Spoor who both coached me through some great team and personal successes.

Favourite Wildcats related memory?
Winning my first Victorian Title in U16 with Marissa as our coach. But the second one was also as sweet in U18s.

Was college basketball always a dream? When did you know it could be a possibility?
Yes it was always a dream when it began being talked about for career pathways. I guess the first time I new it could become a possibility was at the U18 nationals when there were a few scouts there and fellow teammates were being approached and given offers after the titles. But as I was not in my ‘senior year’ (year 12) at that stage they could not approach me due to the NCAA rules.

Have you encountered home sickness? How do you keep in touch with home and Australia in general?
Homesickness was a big thing for be at the beginning. Just being away from family and friends killed me. The first few months were pretty hard but as friendships strengthened with the new friends I made it became easier. I kept in touch with friends and family through phone calls, emails, myspace, text messages etc. But both my parents and I bought a webcam so I was able to see my parents and brothers regularly through the webcam which was great!


How have you overcome/enjoyed the crowds/attention college basketball attracts?

The amount of attention college basketball or any college sports receives in America is amazing. Where I am (Kentucky) college basketball is far more popular than the NBA, so its huge! Its good that everyone gets so involved with it and gets behind you but some games the crowds can get very verbal and when you’re the away team, its normally at directed my team. I just normally laugh it off and it makes me want to win more and play better to shut the crowd up!

How do you handle training and doing school work? What are you studying outside of playbooks?
I handle the trainings and school work quite well. Preseason normally involves a lot more early morning sessions than when we are in season, so many afternoons involve a nap from the lack of sleep. During season when were on the road it’s a bit harder, but you just have to be organized. This year my study was just all general subjects as in America you need to complete so many hours of ‘general education’ classes, which are mostly fairly easy. So the load wasn’t to hard for me my first year but I can imagine it will be more as I have less general subjects to complete.

How did this particular school find you? (Any past Aussies that have been there?)
My coach (Sean Page) is actually an Australian and had previously been the assistant coach at Troy University were 5 other Australians are currently playing there (including Amy Lewis, ex Eltham teammate). So previously Troy had looked at me the year before, then Coach Page got the Head Coach position at Brescia and rung me up.

What are your plans after College? Basketball wise and other?
Not sure what my plans after college are but I will hopefully be playing at a higher level in Australia than what I was before I left for college as well as having a degree in some form of rehabilitation.

What is the best advice you were ever given regarding basketball and/or life?‘Sacrifice for the Pinnacle’ – This way my U16 team motto when we won the title. You have to sacrifice to get to the top and to be at the top.


If you would like to learn more about the College that Jessica attends or the League she plays in, visit the team website www.brescia.edu/bearcats/basketball/women/, or if you would like to contact myself or Jessica regarding any of this information, write to;

Ryan Mobilia at
ryanmobilia@yahoo.com.au